The New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society Inc. was formed in the fall of 1988 by several longtime observers of the railroad who felt that there was a need for an organization to preserve the history of the "Susquehanna, its ancestor corporations and the rich railroading history of New Jersey.
Since that time, the Society has grown to over 550 members from 30 states, Canada and New Zealand. The society is incorporated in the state of New Jersey as a non-profit educational organization. It is also recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt organization, as defined in section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Society produces an annual color calendar as well as its newsletter the Susquehanna Reflector. Bi-monthly meetings are held in Wyckoff, New Jersey, at the Wyckoff Public Library.
The Society also takes an active roll in community affairs; among them are the Children's Brain Tumor Foundation, and Operation Lifesaver. We are also members of the United Railroad Historical Society (URHS) and the Paulinskill Train committee as a furtherance of its endeavors.
A hallmark of the Society is its operations division, which has restored Budd Rail Diesel Car (RDC) M-1 to operating condition. This car has been active as an educational tool as well as a resource available for promoting the NYS&W Railway, the Society itself, and attractions adjacent to the railroad. Revenue generated by the M-1 will be used to support further enhancements to the car, as well as other activities of the Society.
The Susquehanna used the RDC's for its Paterson NJ to Time Square (New York City) service. The service established, which didn't physically run into New York City (ran to Susquehanna Transfer near North Bergen NJ, connecting with a shuttle to the Port Authority Bus Terminal), was 10 minutes faster than the competing Inter-City Bus, and 30 minutes faster than the Erie Hudson Ferry.
By 1958, the Susquehanna was into a decline that would not be reversed until 1980. After a petition to end all passenger service, the Public Utilities commission allowed the NYS&W to end RDC service on January 12th of 1958. The RDC's were then sold to the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) in April of 1958. The ex NYS&W Budd's were renumbered 558-561, and joined several other Budds already owned by the CNJ. The M-1 and her sister Budd cars frequently ran through Dunellen. Following the demise of the CNJ in 1976, the car became property of the New Jersey Department of Transportation, and later New Jersey Transit. The M-1 ended its career on lease to the MBTA, Boston area commuter agency, as a non-powered coach in February of 1988.
At this point the car was set aside for eventual inclusion in the New Jersey Transportation Museum. After receiving the car on long-term lease from the United Rail Historical Society (URHS) in August of 1989, the NYS&W T&HS began its project to restore the M-1 back to as delivered appearance. The car made its first return back to service when it ran under its own power on September 12, 1992. To date over $30,000 and 30,000 man-hours have gone into restoring the M-1.
Your Current Administration:
PRESIDENT John Stocker.
VICE PRESIDENT Chris Cotty
TREASURER Les Coleman
SECRETARY Jon Andreasen
CO CHAIRMEN Kevin Griggs, Martin DenBleyker
URHS DELEGATE Bob Wyatt and Big Wayne ? Forgot last name
MEMBERSHIP Martin Den Bleyker
Martin Den Bleyker